Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Vintage Hip-Hop Chic


Vintage Hip-Hop Chic
by: julian Mack

I was born on March 7, 1988.  I grew up in the 90s, when Hip-Hop was at its peak, although it was created in the 70s.  We listened to Kanye West, who is my favorite rapper, Jay-Z, Lauren Hill, Michael Jackson, Run DMC, Notorious B.I.G., 2pac, Nas, Jagged Edge, Mary J. Blidge, Ottis Redding, Erykah Badu, the list is endless.  Fashion became very important and really defined what artists stood for.  They wore baggy jeans,  sports jerseys, Jordan sneakers, etc, they wore lots of gold jewelry , had tattoos and gold teeth; all inspired by hip-hop's 70s roots.  They rebelled against the status quo.  It was all about defining their own identity with the attitude to match.  Fashion quite frankly defined that moment.   This is where I credit Kanye West.  West wore fashion in a way that mixed his lifestyle with designer pieces.  I love juxtaposition and the mix of hip hop, high-end design and the 70s.  It is what I grew up on, it defines my history and by extension, my personal style.









  















Designers
  • Proper Gang
  • Givenchy
  • APC
  • Alexander wang
  • Gap
  • Comme des Garçons 
Key Pieces 
  • Crop tops
  • Khaki
  • Pleated trousers
  • Dad Jeans
  • Vintage
  • Americana
  • Downtown
  • Quirky
  • Layers
  • Nerdy 
  • Basic
  • Tuxedo pants 
  • Denim!
  • Modern

No comments:

Post a Comment